Pattern: Simplicity 4539 (out of print - OOP) view E
Fabric: from stash - melon spandex jersey from fabric.com @ $2.49/yd (ordered 3/25/08) Yay for stash busting!
Below are some mistakes I made that could've been avoided if I went with my gut instinct.
- I read the cutting layout incorrectly and did not cut the front and back pieces on the correct grain. (i.e. there's no stretch across the width.) I even though I thought it was incorrect while I was cutting it, but didn't think to double check.
- I put on the collar inside out. As I was pinning the collar, I thought that I should baste it first, but decided I was too lazy and just serged. (By the way, pinning fabric for the serger is different than pinning for the sewing machine... in case you didn't know. I don't want anyone ruining his/her serger.) I should've just basted, then I could of redone the collar. From the picture above, you can tell that the collar seam will be visible from the outside.
- Even though I pinned the collar, some of the front fabric bunched up along the collar seam. You can see it better in the picture below.
Despite all the mistakes, I still like the shirt and will still wear it. Because of the incorrect layout it's a little tight across the bust and back. You can see how it pulls and bunches across those areas.
Below are changes that I made and some recommendations:
- I didn't hem the top. I have a rather short torso and I liked the length without it being hemmed. Next time, I'll lengthen the top and top it. If you have regular or long torso, I would definitely recommend lengthen the pieces.
- My side seams were only 3/8" because there was no stretch, and it was going to be a little too tight with 5/8" seams.
- I didn't hem the collar... just because I didn't think it was necessary and I was being lazy.
- Double check and make sure you're cutting on the right grain.
- Go with your gut instincts!! :)
I think it's a great basic pattern. There's only 3 pattern pieces to this view, and it's SUPER easy. I will definitely be making this again... maybe again this month. :)